Varsity Soccer Team to Face Elis In Key Contest of Eastern Season

By Michael S. Lottman

In Eastern soccer's game of the year, the Crimson varsity will face Yale's powerful Bulldogs this afternoon at 2 p.m. in New Haven. The Elis and the Crimson will be in near-perfect condition for the showdown both squads have been pointing towards since late September.

Rarely has so much been at shake in a Harvard-Yale contest. The desire for victory is always strong in The Game, and the Bulldogs will be out to avenge last year's 1-0 defeat at the hands of the varsity. For the senior-studded Harvard eleven, a win today would be a fitting climax to a surprisingly successful season.

During the late stages of the Ivy League race, a pattern was formed that converged inevitably on the game at New Haven. This afternoon, for the first time in formal Ivy Competition, the League championship will be waiting for the victors.

Harvard Leads by Half-Game

Two weeks ago, the Crimson lost to Princeton, 1-0, and its Ivy hopes plummeted. But Penn tied the Bulldogs that Saturday, and the Tigers handed the Elis their first Ivy setback a week later. Thus, the two teams head into today's encounter with Harvard in the lead by half a game. The Crimson must tie Yale to secure the

The losses to Princeton have all but disqualified Harvard and Yale from serious consideration as participants in the NCAA championship tournament. Bridge-port has already been named the New England representative, and a possible at-large bid would probably be offered to Williams or Trinity before either Yale or Harvard received consideration. There remains a slim chance, however, that either the Crimson or the Blue will be chosen, and neither wants to kill its chances by losing today.

Center forward Geue Scott will lead the rampaging Bulldog attack this afternoon. The speedy senior is Yale's leading scorer, and he can and will shoot from anywhere on the field. Right inside Johnny Pearce ranges all over the playing area in aggressive fashion, and his inside cohort John O'Keefe gives the Elis a flashy dribbler to loosen enemy defenses.

The game may be won or lost in the middle of the field, where Eli halfbacks George Sheeley and Mike Bradley have performed brilliantly all season long.

Bulldog defensive play, however, does not match the Elis' offensive standard. Fullbacks Phil Meyer and Mal Black are big but slow, and alternating goalies Charlie Grigg and Andy Block have shown a tendency to wilt under pressure. The Elis use a three-back defense, with the center half functioning as a third fullback, to bolster their protection.

In this contest, left wing Larry Ekpebu will pose the biggest threat to the Eli defense. With the middle blocked up, the varsity must rely on its wings, and Ekepebu could break the game wide open if he comes up with one of his spectacular shows of dribbling and shooting. Right wing Dick McIntosh is hardly a scoring menace, but his mid-field dribbling skill will be indispensable.

Hedreen at Center Forward

If John Hedreen's painful shin splints allow, he will open at center forward, where his cool play-making should aid the Crimson greatly. Tadhg Sweeney, the left inside if Hedreen starts, will play center otherwise, and Seamus Malin will then fill in at inside. Right inside John Mudd is a valuable aggressive performer.

Mid-field Strong

The halfback line of Marsh McCall, Bill Rapp, and Charlie Steele should win the battle of the middle of the field. Fullback Lanny Keyes, in good shape for the first time in weeks, will start at fullback, along with the immensely improved Tim Morgan. Tom Bagnoll, broken hand and all, is ready to continue his inspirational performance in the nets.

Today should see a Crimson victory, but only if the varsity produces an effort befitting the occasion