Crimson Basketball Players Romp To Easy 84-34 Triumph at M.I.T.

By Michael S. Lottman

"I'm sorry, John," Crimson basketball coach Floyd Wilson said to his opposite number, John Barry of M.I.T., Saturday night after the varsity had inflicted an 84-34 clobbering upon the Engineers at Rockwell Cage. Wilson had reason to be abashed, for his charges had run away with everything but the program concession.

With the first team playing only 10:11 of the opening period and 4:41 of the second half, ten varsity performers were in on the scoring. The Crimson consistently out-rebounded M.I.T., and the varsity's zone defense was impenetrable.

After a rocky first five minutes, the Crimson held an 8-7 lead. Four minutes later, however, the varsity was ahead 22 to 15. The second unit entered the fray shortly thereafter and kept piling it on, building the Crimson margin to 44 to 20 by halftime.

In the incredible second half, the Crimson put on a truly amazing defensive show. The first team limited the Engineers to two points in the first three minutes, and allowed M.I.T. merely 14 markers in the entire period. Meanwhile, the Crimson scoring continued apace, until Wilson apparently ordered a stall with 13 minutes to play.

Cuffe Leads Varsity

Ed Cuffe again paced the varsity with 15 points, on four baskets and seven out of seven free throws. Greg Loser poured in seven field goals for 14, and Gary Borchard had 13, including five of five foul shots. Bry Danner and Alex Hart tallied nine, followed by Marc Kolden with six, Bob Bowditch and Dave Grayer with four, and Bill Danner with three.

Alternating at center, the two Danners did a fine job in containing M.I.T.'s highly touted Dave Koch. They made life miserable for the big sophomore, blocking nearly half his shots and holding him to eight points. Hugh Morrow led the Engineers with 11.

In the freshman game, a tip-in by Pete Kelley in the last second of the first overtime gave the Yardlings a 56-54 triumph.