Track Varsity Beats Dartmouth; Benjamin Excels With 4:12.1 Mile

By Michael S. Lottman

Dyke Benjamin's near-record 4:12.1 performance in the mile led the varsity track team to an 81 2/3-58 1/3 triumph over an undermanned Dartmouth squad yesterday at the Stadium. The Crimson took ten first places on its way to victory, and its final margin might have been considerably greater if coach Bill McCurdy had decided to run up the score.

In the mile, Benjamin had the aid of a new opponent--half-miler Art Cahn, running his first race at the mile distance. Cahn stayed with Benjamin through a 61.0 quarter and a 2:06 880, and he even passed his teammate momentarily midway in the third lap. But Benjamin pulled away, practically sprinting the entire last lap, and finished 75 yards in front.

Cahn held off Dartmouth's Roger Coates for second place, crossing the finish in 4:23.2, a respectable first effort. After recovering, he walked off the track muttering about "crazy people" who run the mile. An hour later, however, Cahn was back on the track for the two-mile. Here again he did well, covering the distance in 10:18 for third place behind the Crimson's Willy Thompson and Coates.

An upset of rather large proportions took place in the hurdles, where Dartmouth's John Ebers soundly defeated the varsity's Joel Landau in the slow time of 15.2.

Using his strong kick, Dave Brahrms won the 440 for the Crimson in the absence of captain Albie Gordon. Gordon busied himself by competing in the 100 and 220, picking up a second in the latter event. Taking over for Cahn, Gus Schumacher turned in a 1:57.3 clocking to win the 880.

Frank Yeomans came in first in the 100, and Larry Repsher took third. Later in the afternoon, these two, along with broad jumper Pat Liles and Schumacher, gave a good Dartmouth mile relay team a real battle before losing by five yards.

The Crimson field event crew sparkled as usual. Liles took first in the broad jump, and high jumper John deKiewiet and pole vaulter Tom Blodgett contributed wins in their specialities. Jim Doty, Stan Doten, and Roger Wilson swept the hammer, and Hank Abbot triumphed in the shot. Shot putter Steve Cohen, fighting for a letter, uncorked a 49 ft., 7 3/4 in, heave on his last attempt to beat Karl Mayer of Dartmouth for second.