1100 Students Pack Carey Cage As Saltonstall Outlines Platform

By Frederic L. Ballard jr.

More than 1100 of the Republicans among Boston's student politicians jammed into Carey Cage last night. They got what they wanted: a noisy evening and a look at Leverett Saltonstall.

The rally had everything a rally should have, including a mixer afterwards. A jazz band that wasn't from Harvard played some Harvard songs; an unknown "TV and recording artist" led a chorus of the national anthem; and at one point a local color-guard marched in, around the room, and out.

Twice during the evening the audience broke out in a Saltonstall-for-Senator song. Therer were also on-cue bursts of applause whenever Saltonstall mentioned the names of any prominent Republicans.

Speaks on Security and Jobs

During a brief speech shortened by the rather prolonged welcome demonstrations and his other committments for the evening, Saltonstall outlined his position on national security and Massachusetts employment. He said these were the most important issues in his campaign.

In his speech he defined national security as having a defense strong enough to scare off any would-be attackers. He said the United States has such a defense today, and that he could help the country keep it. He cited his membership on various Congressional committees on armament as evidence of this ability.

Discussing the employment issue, Saltonstall told the wildly receptive crowd that he had no intention of denying a charge that he has "pork-barreled" Federal funds to help the state's employment. He said he was proud to be a pork-barreler if it meant getting jobs for New Englanders, pointing out that one out of fourteen industrial workers in the state today holds a job procured from the government.

He named instances when he and Senator Kennedy had voted for legislation helping workers, and said his opponent, Thomas J. O'Connor, "doesn't know the facts," on this issue.