Crimson Eleven to Face Action Today Against Threatening Penn Air Attack

Koval Will Play

By Michael S. Lottman

Harvard beat Dartmouth last weekend, 9 to 6, while Penn was losing to Navy, 27 to 0. Besides, the Indians downed Penn, 15 to 0, earlier this season. Thus, the football prognosticators reason, the Crimson should be favored over the Quakers today at 2 p.m. in the Stadium.

But this is not necessarily the case. The Quakers have, potentially, one of the most explosive backfields in the Ivy League, and some solid linemen. with the return to health of tailback George Koval, Penn can put on an aerial show that will more than equal anything the Crimson has seen all year.

In almost every game this season, the varsity has allowed at least one long completion right down the middle Against Columbia, the Crimson gave Tom Vasell the center of the field free for a good part of the game, and a Jack Kinderdine-to-Alan Rosyoki combination right down the pipe stunned the varsity last Saturday.

So, unless coach John Yoviosin has devised a plan to protect the middle of the field, Penn could turn the contest today into a one-aided romp. Tailbacks Koval and Porter Shreve are both fine passers, and if a Quaker aerial can spring fleet wingback Peter Schants loose in the Crimson secondary, it will be bye, bye, baby.

Koval, Shreve, and Schants are only three of Penn's army of good single-wing backs. Ed Shaw, Ivy Back of the Week two weeks ago as a tailback, was the fourth-string fullback as of last Tuesday. He still could make things difficult for the Crimson with his passing, power running, punting, and place kicking. Counle DeSantis, an outstanding running guard last year, is now a deadly blocking back. Wingback Peter McCarthy and tailback John Salem are also capable operatives.

On the line, tackle Bruce Cummings and John Greenawalt lead a strong, if not spectacular group.

Still, the varsity is not conceding, and it shouldn't be. Although the Crimson has hardly been a model of consistency itself. It can be encouraged by the erratic quality of Quaker performances. In each of its two wins this fall, Penn has tallied 36 points: in all of its three losses, it has been shut out.

Quarterback Ted Halaby has acquired a certain amount of savoir-faire after one and one-half games of nearly continuous service on offense, and, though no Ravenel, he is at least shrewd and steady. Larry Repsher, if his bruised ribs do not hamper him, should continue to be a fast, driving runner at right half, and fullback Jimmy Nelson should not give Yoviesin any worries.

But the biggest change in the Crimson since Ravenel's injury has been the emergence of left halfback Bruce MacIntyre. Although he is not gifted with exceptional or even average speed. MacIntyre is a brainy runner who can be counted on for several good gains. MacIntyre's kicking is legend, and his new-found passing ability doesn't hurt, either.

The starting line--ends Bob Boyda and Bert Messenbaugh, tackles Bob Pillsbury and Eric Nelson, guards Terry Lenzner and Bill Swinford, and center Jon Christensen--is at least the equal of Penn's. Swinford, especially, has been a standout. At 180 lbs., he will be the smallest lineman on the field today, but chances are he will contribute strongly to the Crimson cause.

The varsity's reserve strength is excellent on the line, and not so sparkling in the backfield. If halfback Hobie Armstrong ever learns to follow his interference instead of running over it, he will be a threat every time he gets the ball, but against Dartmouth he had trouble breaking even. Still, Armstrong, Hank Hatch, Glenn Haughie, and Tom Boone provide adequate, if not equally skilled, relief for the first foursome.

This game is a must for both teams' title hopes. Penn, especially, cannot afford to lose, since it has bowed twice in League play. For the varsity, the blow would be more shattering with respect to morale than anything else. When Penn starts to fill the air with passes, then will the Crimson's true mettle be known to all