Freshman Soccer Squad Faces Unbeaten Andover

By Michael S. Lottman

Protecting a 5-0 record, the Freshman soccer team will meet undefeated Andover in an away game this afternoon at 2 p.m. Dana Getchell's Yardling had, one of the most spectacular Harvard teams in many years, will be facing hired-up Andover eleven that has been pointing for this contest for the past two weeks.

The veteran Andover team, guided by Frank DiClements, whom Getchell calls the best scholastic soccer coach in the country," has prepared a special defense for Yardling captain Chris O'Hiri. To counter the effects of double-teaming on O'Hiri center forward, Getchell may switch the high-scoring Nigerian with right wing Kluflo, or simply have O'Hiri move toward the outside when Andover jams the middle.

O'Hiri knows that he will be double-or even triple-teamed today, but he is used to it by now. The former Nigerian Olympic ace has faced stacked defenses most this season. Even so, he has racked up 19 goals in five games, including 14 in the last two outings.

In the bargain, his rifle shots have knocked four goalies out cold. In front of a large gathering expected at Andover--today is a school holiday--he should sparkle, as he hid before the crowd that drifted over to the freshman game last Saturday during the varsity intermission. Getchell says his center halfback, Billy yard, is "the backbone of the club" and the best center halfback I've had at Harvard." "Everybody who knows anything but soccer," Getchell explains, "knows that Ward is the reason for most of O'Hiri's goals." Ward is a good dribbler and an accurate kicker, with the ability to hit wings Kluflo and George Draper with long passes.

Besides Kluflo, Draper, and O'Hiri, Getchell will start insides Ev Obregon and Steve Sewall on the line. He will have help at inside and, if needed, at halfback, grom little Doug Gifford.

Ken Rand and Dave Clapp will flank hard at halfback, and John Kernochan will provide relief. Louie Williams, whom Getchell compares to former varsity great Lanny Keyes, will start at left fullback, and Nate Emmons will be at right. Varsity coach Bruce Munro reportedly has his eye firmly fixed on Williams.