Crimson Sextet Swamps Boston University; Rebounds From 3-0 Deficit to Triumph, 6-4

Behind by three goals for 46 seconds of the middle period. Harvard's crack hockey team stormed back to a rousing 6-4 triumph over highly-rated Boston University last night.

Bob Anderson's goal at 7:16 of the second period started a Crimson scoring spree that continued uninterrupted until the varsity had poured in five successful shots to establish a commanding two-goal lead. Stu Forbes' score with less than a minute to go quenched any B.U. hopes revived when a late goal pulled the Terriers up to a 5-4 deficit.

The score would have risen considerably higher, except for expert goal-tending by both Harvard's Bob Bland and B.U.'s Barry Urbanski. Even when the Terriers had their biggest lead, the Crimson kept heavy pressure on Urbanski, firing well over twice as many shots as B.U. in the first two periods and out-shooting the Terriers 40 to 15 for the game.

After 15 minutes of the first period, B.U. wing Dave MacLeod opened the scoring when he picked up a loose puck near his own blue line, got a jump on the Crimson defense, and raced down the ice to fire an unassisted goal past Bland. MacLeod added another score in the second period, which, together with Mike Denihan's goal, on a pass from Bill Quinn, put the Terriers ahead 3 to 0.

After Anderson, with an assist from Tim Taylor, had made the score 3-1, Gerry Jorgenson faked his way in from the goalie's left to within a few feet of the B.U. cage and bounced a shot off the post. Next time the Crimson had the puck in B.U.'s zone, Forbes and Dave Grannis combined to feed Jorgenson the puck in the same spot, a few feet down the rink from the cage and several to its left. Jorgenson's shot was good.

A Boston University penalty with three minutes to go in the second period gave the Crimson its opportunity to tie the score. Using a favorite, four-men-up power play, Harvard sprung Jim Dwinell into the B.U. zone near the right boards. Dwinell swung behind the Terrier defense, and poked the pack in front of the cage, where it slid just beyond reach of the other Crimson linemen. Coming around behind the cage. Dwinell got control of the puck again, and passed across the rink to Dave Morse, who scored on a shot from the right, near the blue line. Grannis had an assist on the play.

Harvard moved ahead early in the third period. Urbanski made a stop on one shot by the Crimson's right defenseman. Harry Howell, but the Terriers lost control of the rebound and gave Howell another chance. Ted Ingalls tipped Howell's second shot into the cage, making the score 4 to 3.

Dean Alpine added the fifth goal to Harvard's total after eight minutes of the final period. On passes from Morse and Tom Heintzman, he put a low, hard shot past Urbanski from about ten ft. in front of the cage.

Several unsuccessful plays by both teams followed, and finally a collision between a Crimson defenseman and a B.U. wing attempting to block his shot left a free puck on the Terriers' blue line. Bill Quinn picked it up and came all the way down the rink to score an unassisted goal on Bland. But as the one-minute warning sounded, Forbes broke into the B.U. zone with a lone defenseman in position to stop the play. After a faked pass to Taylor, ten feet to his left, Forbes moved slightly toward the side of the rink and fired the Crimson's sixth goal. A pass from Jorgenson had set up the play.