Glee Club Fund Total Raised by $5000 Gift, Making Tour Possible

By Frederic L. Ballard jr.

The Glee Club will definitely make its Asian Tour this summer. A $5,000 gift received this weekend, together with some $20,000 contributed during December, has raised the Club's fund total high enough to make the trip possible.

A virtually final itinerary, featuring major stops in India and Japan, covers the first two months of this summer. After a concert in Greece in mid-August, each member will be free to use his airline tickets home over any route, at any time he desires. Fifty-three Club members will make the trip.

The Club now has collected $105,000 and needs only $20,000 more to make up the predicted total expense. Had the amount contributed at the end of 1960 been less than $100,000, the tour would have been cancelled, according to Club officers.

This weekend's gift, made by an anonymous donor who had already sent in $5,000 just before Christmas, resulted from the sale of 50 shares of DuPont stock. The donor subtracted what he had originally paid, leaving the Club a profit of slightly over $100 on each share.

Stock Transfer Gifts

Several other gifts of this type came in December. Tax laws favor transactions of this sort being handled at the end of the year. Stock transfers have accounted for about one-fourth of all the funds collected.

Of the $20,000 to go, the singers hope to get one-fifth from Glee Club alumni, and the rest from Boston businessmen who have promised to make donations once Tour plans are definite. So far, Club alumni have contributed less than a tenth of the total, and members of the Tour group and their families over half.