Yale Track Squad Favored Today Over Crimson in Heptagonal Clash

Army, Navy Pose Threats

By Michael S. Lottman

The varsity track team has a chance to get back at Yale tonight at Ithaca in the Heptagonal Games, but don't bet on it. The powerful Elis, led by the Gold Dust Twins, Jim Stack and Tommy Carroll, are favored to take first in the ten-team Heps field, but Harvard, Army, Navy and Cornell all could challenge.

With Tom Blodgett's activities limited by a leg injury, the varsity needs a healthy Mark Mullin to stay in the race for first place. If he has recovered from his siege of virus Mullin could repeat his outdoor Heps triumph in the mile, and could be one-fourth of a really not two-mile relay squad.

Although opinion favors Yale in both relays, the Bulldogs will have a lot of trouble scoring back-to-back wins. The Yalies must save Stack for the climactic mile relay, and the Crimson combination of Harry Rich. Gus Schumacher, Mullin, and Fred Howard should be able to whip the left-overs in the two-mile.

The Crimson's Stan Doten, who has thrown the 35-1b, weight 64 ft., 5 1/2 in., would be the most overwhelming favorite in the Games if he did not have to contend with his own teammate, Ted Bailey.

* Shot put: Dick Brown of Navy, with a 56 ft., 6 in. heave to his credit, should win with ease. Last year's champ, Bob Batdorf of Penn, has yet to break 51 ft. Harvard's Rick deLone and Steve Cohen should go two-three, while Yale has nothing. H 7, Y 0.

* Weight: Doten and Bailey should take first and second easily, with Sage third, and Jim McCarthy of Army South. H 10, Y 0.

* Broad jump: John Prichard of Navy should be favored. Zeke Asikiwe and Al Albright, the Crimson entries, should finish third and fourth, and might do better. H 5, Y1.

* High jump: It is phenomenal for a Heps team to have one 6 ft., 6 in. high jumper, let alone two. Yale's Sam Streibert and Bill Flippin should tie for the top spot. H 0, Y 10.

* Pele vaults John Murray of Cornell has cleared the unheard-of (among the Ivies) height of 14 ft., 6 in., and can do it again. H 2 1/2, Y 2 1/2.

* Mile: Mullin can win, even if Yale coach Bob Giegengack throws his running machine, Bobby Mack, into the mile. H 6, Y 4.

* 600: Stack, of course, will take first. Dick Edmunds of Princeton will never best Stack in a 600. H 3, Y 6.

* 60: George Ekstrom of Cornell is favored. H2, Y 3.

* Hurdles: Jay Luck and Flippin of Yale are both very good. John Ebers or John Knight of Dartmouth should split them up, at least. H 0, Y 9.

* 1000: Carroll has a way of getting upset in the Heps, but he should triumph this year. H 4, Y 6.

* of Army should surprise here. Jed Fitzgerald of Harvard, who should be in the thick of it, probably won't be. H 0, Y 2.

* Mile relay: Princeton, anchored by Edmunds, is great. H 3, Y 4.

* Two-mile relay: With a healthy Mullin, the varsity should beat Yale. H 6, Y 4.

All this adds up to Harvard 48 1/2, Yale 51 1/2. It should be an interesting evening.