Three Varsity Squads Victorious

Tennis

By Frederic L. Ballard jr.

The tennis team collected a decisive 7-2 win ovr MIT yesterday. Harvard lost only at the number one singles and doubles spots, winning all the other matches in straight sets.

The victory opened the Crimson's regular season, and continued the undefeated streak begun during last week's Southern trip.

In the first singles match, MIT's Ben Aasnaes uncorked a sound, all-around game to defeat the Crimson's Paul Sullivan, who appeared to be somewhat off his form and was not hitting the ball as hard as his opponent. Aasnaes combined good ground strokes and an effective return of service with expert cross-court shots that often forced Sullivan to go well beyond the outside doubles line in order to retrieve the ball. Aasnaes won both sets by 7-5.

Bowditch Wins

In the other singles matches, Bob Bowditch overpowered Engineer Bob Padik in straight sets at number two, 6-4, 6-1. In the third spot, the Crimson's Doug Walter defeated Nick Chainey, 6-3, 6-4.

At four, varsity captain Peter Smith overcame an early difficulty with his backhand to pull out a victory over Jerry Adams, 10-8, 6-2. A sore arm that hampered Smith on the Southern trip did not appear to be bothering him yesterday.

With a match victory insured by the five singles wins, Crimson coach Jack Barnaby was able to experiment in the doubles combinations. In the first doubles, Barnaby played Gerry Adelman and Kal Pollen against Aasnaes and Padik, who gave the Engineers their second win. The match was not completed until after 6:30 p.m., when the poor visibility that had hampered play all afternoon made further tennis virtually impossible. Aasnaes and Padik's scores were 6-4, 9-11, 6-2.

The Varsity's next match will be next Wednesday, against Amherst.