HYRC Stings Phillips; Convention Opens

By Joseph M. Russin

Howard J. Phillips '62 was soundly rebuked at a meeting of the HYRC yesterday but promised to carry his fierce struggle against the HYRC leadership into the Annual Meeting of the Massachusetts Young Republicans, which is being on campus today. Phillips will oppose Hugh W. Barber '61 for college chairman of the state YR's.

motion yesterday to add Phillips to the HYRC delegation failed by a 73-11 Phillips forces, who boycotted the meeting, claim it was "rigged" by the Machine" of Tom A. Alberg '62, HYRC President, Barber, past President, and K. Chapman '62, first vice-President.

Phillips insists that the "ABC Machine" has waged the "most ruthless, vicious, campaign I have ever seen."

protest "of the high-handed methods used in the afternoon meeting" two alter members of the delegation, John R. Williams '63 and James L. Greis '64, last resigned as delegates.

in the week, Phillips supporters began circulating a petition requesting meeting to review the delegation chosen by the executive committee. claims "they (Alberg and Barefused to receive the petition."

night Alberg summoned the tive committee and asked for a meeting to "end the divisive in the club. The committee, some Phillips backers, voted for the meeting. A fight redentials, in which both sides tried blocks of friendly voters, and sal of a Phillips demand for guaran a secret ballot caused the Phillips o boycott yesterday's general meet

session was tense but unspectacu Phillips' boycott cut down attendance per cent of the eligible membership, hapman said this was "high for the Over a dozezn members were re entrance by the credentials com.

t of the debate against the motion Phillips was directed against the t. Barber, accusing Phillips of lete lack of good faith," asked "if re not going to come to this meethat the hell do they want?"

rg told the HYRC that Phillips had en included in the delegation be "he has not done much for the He noted that Phillips has been a member of the Law School delegand saw no reason to make changes." people claim their man's activi the club "could be cited endlessly."

"Phony Attempt"

letter to the club, Alberg, who is didate for National College YR an, called the Phillips' petition "a attempt to further Phillips' politibitions." Barber said Phillips was to use the petition to indicate sup when, in fact, support doesn't exist." arged that the boycott was called e "Howie knew he couldn't win." back, Phillips said "it is unate that Mr. Alberg does not believe s room in the Republican Party for individuals not necessarily the advancement of his political ."

crucial test today will be in the Caucus at 6 p.m. in Harkness , where Barber and Phillips will the chairmanship nomination. convention meets at 8 p.m. in Lecture Hall to decide the issue

"Phony Attempt"

"Phony Attempt"

"Phony Attempt"

"Phony Attempt"

"Phony Attempt"

"Phony Attempt"

"Phony Attempt"

"Phony Attempt"

"Phony Attempt"