Kahn, Wolff Debate Over Civil Defense

By Frederick H. Gardner

filled the New England Mutual last night as Rand Corporation Herman Kahn and Robert Wolff '54, instructor in Philosophy debated whether civil defense the arms race.

began, "I think the statement that certain point Civil Defense acceler- the arms race is true...in fact, I it's a relatively low point."

went on to define a CD expenditure or 5 billion dollars as the point be which CD becomes the adrenalin of production. Below this level, , Kahn considered extensive construction "a simple measure can make a tremendous difference people outside target areas."

teammate, Gen. John McGinnis, of Massachusetts Civil Defense, the debate. He told an extremely audience of 750 that the USSR has a huge CD effort, particularly in that it complements a aggressive program.

analyzed Kahn's theory that a program would increase U.S. first strike capacity." He saw in reasoning proof that "Civil Defense an aspect of a calculated offense."

McGinnis insinuatingly challenge to comment on Soviet CD Wolff retaliated with the General's statement that CD could exist as of an offensive program. The were heated, but more by issues personalities.

Kahn replied to a challenge by that his book was poorly document- factually inaccurate by restating exploratory approach of his study. then accused the physicist of pass off weak documentation as method, finally asking, "Why did publish the book in the first place so unsure of your studies?" His objection was that Kahn's analysis of nuclear dismissed the very real effects of disasters as intangible.

adversaries had been literally together by agreement on a point Kahn summarized during the g. "The current military situation survive," the author of On Thermo War declared; Wolff nodded in ment with this assumption. If else.