YDCHR Will Meet With McCormick, Walter, Etc.

By Lawrence W. Feinberg

Congressional leaders, high Administration officials, and possibly President Kennedy will meet informally with about 30 members of the Harvard Young Democrats during a "Capitol Conference" which the YDCHR has scheduled in Washington for March 1-4.

House Speaker John McCormick and Rep. Francis E. Walter (D-Pa.), chairman of the House Un-American Activities Committee, are among the leaders who will speak to the YDCHR.

In a letter to the Club, special assistant Kenneth O'Donnell '49 said President Kennedy "would like to be able to meet" with the Harvard group. O'Donnell said definite arrangements for the White House visit would be made in mid-February.

While in Washington, the Young Democrats will also hold a cocktail party for Democratic member of Congress and Administration officials who are Harvard alumni.

Rep. Richard Bolling (D-Mo.), once a potential candidate for House majority leader, wrote YDCHR President Harry Greene '63 last week that he will meet with the group. In addition, she State Department has agreed to schedule a briefing session which may include Secretary of State Dean Rusk.

The Club is also trying to arrange meetings with Edward R. Murrow, director of the United States Information Agency; Attorney General Robert Kennedy; Under Secretary of State George W. Ball; McGeorge Bundy, special assistant to the President for national security affairs; Charles Bohlen, former Ambassador to Russia; and Maxwell Taylor, the President's special adviser on defense.

James Reston, head of the Washington bureau of the New York Times, may also speak to the Young Democrats.