Crimson Power Crumples Lehigh, 27-7

By Joseph M. Russin

The first game of the Harvard football season was delightful. The Crimson backs plunged through wide holes conveniently cut by the line, Crimson linemen effectively harassed Lehigh ball carriers, the Harvard band was funny, and Harvard won, 27-7.

For the benefit of the freshmen, and just in case anyone had forgotten, Harvard demonstrated in the first play exactly why Ivy football is so unusually interesting.

Hank Hatch took the kick-off on his own six, dashed magnificently up the sidelines, skillfully evaded numerous tacklers, picked up timely blocking, spun his way to the Lehigh 35, and fumbled the ball. Inspired by this performance, Hobie Armstrong fumbled a punt a few plays later. Before the first quarter was half over Mike Bassett also had managed to fumble, and it began to look as if the Crimson was once again preparing to give Lehigh a victory.

As Lehigh commenced its second series of plays the situation grew nearly as gloomy as the dark skies that enclosed the Stadium. Engineer quarterback Walt King took advantage of the Harvard defenses, which were set up for a pass, and directed his backs through the middle of the line. When he had gained the Harvard 22 yard line, King flipped his only pass of the series, which was good for 13 yards, giving Lehigh first and goal on the four.

The Crimson's inexperienced line withstood three assaults with impressive skill, but on the fourth Pat Clark traversed the one remaining yard to the end-zone to score.

Harvard got nowhere after the kick-off, and King soon had his Engineers marching again. Halfback slashes at the line and two successful passes brought the visitors to the Harvard nine. Then Clark spun around right end to the seven, where Bill Grana was waiting with a hard tackle. Clark dropped the ball and Dick Diehl fell on it eagerly.

Quarterback Mike Bassett and his friends went to work. Calling his plays with precision, Bassett directed Grana, Scott Harshbarger, Bill Taylor, and himself into the thin Lehigh line for large chunks of yardage. A pass to Taylor added 16 yards, and a Lehigh personal foul penalty put the ball on the ten.

Moving well on an option, Bassett proceeded to the one and then sent Grana across for the touchdown. Taylor took another handoff and wriggled over for two extra points.

Harvard led, 3-7, and happiness reigned in the Harvard stands. For the first time in the afternoon the sun came out seemingly indicating heavenly approval. The sun continued to shine throughout the rest of the game, and the Crimson continued to improve.

Lehigh failed to get a first down after the third quarter kick-off, and Bassett was soon back in operation. This time he plotted a 70 yard trip through Lehigh's crumbling defenses, using simple hand-offs and a pass to get to the Lehigh 15. Here the drive was temporarily stalled until Bassett rolled out on fourth down and hit Dave Hudepohl at the five with a perfect pass. Hudepohl ran the rest of the way and Harvard led 14-7.

Leigh's coach Mike Cooley had promised to "make things interesting." He did--Lehigh tried an amazing collection of formations, sometimes using two flankers and two wide ends. Few of them worked.

Lehigh was forced to open the final quarter with a punt, which Bob Stringer ran to the Harvard 49. Then Bassett unleashed Bill Taylor, who gained 23 yards on two runs. With the ball on the Lehigh 25, Bassett ran to his right and threw complete to Taylor on the 13. Dave Hudepohl's block eliminated the Lehigh secondary and Taylor entered the endzone unopposed.

Becoming desperate, Lehigh took to the air. Under heavy pressure from Harvard's charging ends, King's accuracy decreased. John DeNoia came in to try his luck. It wasn't good. His first pass was intercepted by guard Walt Dobrzelecki, who charged 42 yards to Lehigh's 13.

With Terry Bartolet at the helm, Harvard gained its last touchdown, but not before Bartolet had fumbled, and was trapped for an eight yard loss. A pass from the 16 to Hudepohl almost did the trick, but Hudepohl fumbled at the five. Dick Diehl was again the saviour, pouncing on the stray pigskin at the one. Bartl then slipped around right end to score. The stands began to empty, slowly; John Yovicsin smiled, faintly.CRIMSONAlbert B. CrenshawThe third touchdown: MIKE BASSETT (23), getting protection from WALT DOBRZELECKI (62) and FRED BARTL (30), gets off pass from the Lehigh 30. BILL TAYLOR (12) receives ball on the 18, starts toward end zone. Path is cleared by DAVE HUPEPOHL (31), who throws vital block against JIM WILSON (14). Taylor then proceeds unhindered to score.