Sailing Team to Host First Ivy Championship

By Bruce L. Paisner

The intercollegiate yachting world turns its attention to Cambridge this weekend, as the Harvard Yachting Club hosts the first encounter of a major new sailing championship.

Crimson sailers are favored to sweep to victory in the first running of the Ivy League Dinghy Championship, which will be sailed on the Charles River Basin tomorrow and Sunday.

Top crews from eight Ivy League schools will race from the M.I.T. sailing pavilion in the Crimson's fleet of 15 interclub dinghys acquired by the yachting club last spring.

Port time for Saturday's first race is 12:30 p.m. at the M.I.T. sailing pavilion. The race is scheduled to start at 1 p.m. Sunday's racing program will begin at 10 a.m.

Carter Ford, captain of the Crimson team and one of the top college sailors in the country, will start in "A" division. Mike Horn is scheduled to start in "B" division, but Mike Lehmann will be available for relief.

Ford, Horn, and Lehmann are the same team which led the Crimson to an impressive second place finish in the North American intercollegiate championship last spring in California.

Cornell Top Competition

The Crimson feels that toughest competition will probably come from a strong Cornell team, sailing Neil Thomas as top man. The Princeton crew could also pose a threat, but Harvard defeated the Tigers by a whopping 57 points in last week's Big Three championships on Princeton's own waters.

Official recognition and sanction for the new championship was obtained from Ivy League athletic associations during the summer. In addition, Bus Mosbacher, skipper of the America's Cup defender "Weatherly," and a Dartmouth graduate, has donated a perpetual trophy for the championship.

The meet will be run in the usual pattern of a two-division regatta, with one boat from each college sailing in each of two separate heats, for a total of 16 races. Boats will score one point for starting, one for finishing and one for each boat beaten.

All of the Crimson Interclubs have undergone an extensive checkout to ensure strict one-designedness of fittings, and general top operating condition.

Several former members of the Harvard Yachting Club will officiate at the historic races this weekend. Timothy M. Brown '54, a member of the national champion Crimson teams of 1953 and 1954, will be regatta chairman.