Indians Should Subdue Tigers

Ivy Outlook

By Joseph M. Russin

Just about everything of great importance in Ivy Football besides the Big Three Championship has already been decided, but today's concluding games promise considerable excitement and are pregnant with upset possibilities.

Excluding the action in Cambridge, the day's zest game should be at Princeton, where the stumbling Tigers will attempt to give Dartmouth at least a scare. The Indians, who captured the League championship last week at Cornell, are currently very excited over the prospect of their first undefeated season in 37 years.

Dartmouth has rarely been in trouble this year, and in the one game that they trailed--against Cornell--they came back with impressive power and speed, finally achieving a giant total of 477 total yards gained. Cornell's 21 points diminished the Green's chances for the national defensive title, however, which somewhat tarnished the victory.

Princeton Image Tarnished

Showing little resemblance to the preseason wonder team it was proclaimed to be, Princeton fell easily before Harvard and last week came very close to losing to Yale. The Tiger backs have failed to terrorize opponents into submission, and Princeton's line has lacked vitality.

It is conceivable that Dartmouth will be upset today, however. There can be little question that the Indians are one of the best teams in modern Ivy history, but being an Ivy team, they should have at least one lousy day. This is Princeton's only hope.

Cornell, meanwhile, should thoroughly enjoy its final game playing Penn at Philadelphia. Penn has tried all sorts of techniques in an effort to draw some good football out of its players, but few of them have been very successful.

The Big Red, while prone to bad afternoons, is one of the best squads in the League, and probably will whip Penn even if Gary Wood doesn't show up. Look for Penn to lose by two touchdowns in what will probably be coach John Stiegman's last game at Philadelphia.

Columbia Over Rutgers

Columbia ends the season, with a non-Ivy opponent, Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights have spent some gloomy afternoons this year, but their victory over Penn and near upset of Princeton indicates that they have some football talent.

They propably lack sufficient quality, though, to overcome the moderately ferocious Lions. Young Archie Roberts improves with each game, and the line has developed some maturity. I take Columbia by a touchdown, but a Rutger's triumph is quite possible.

Brown's season is mercifully at an end.

* * *

Last week was a good one for Ivy records. Brown's John Parry caught his 26th pass during the Harvard game, a feat which set a new mark for receptions in one season. His nine catches in the Stadium also established a standard for receptions in a single game.

Dartmouth's Bill King has tied the League record for touchdowns in one season (10), and Ivy Back of the Week Bill Taylor of Harvard is only one TD behind.

* * *

There is a strong possibility more records will fall today. There is also a feeling that some Ivy coaches may be finished after today's game. Penn's John Stiegman is apparently through after three seasons. Two others who have been the subject of rumors are Princeton's Dick Colman and Yale's Jordan Olivar.

After Princeton's loss to Harvard there were angry rumors in Tigertown about the way Calman handled his team. If Oliver loses to Harvard today his contract may not be renewed. Important people at Yale are reportedly upset over Olivar's part-time insurance business, and his career at Yale has often been spotted with controversy in the past.