Tocsin Claims Snow Will Not Stop 'Project Washington' Peace March

Snow May Dampen Boston Demonstration

By Joseph M. Russin

Despite more than a foot and a half of snow, Project Washington officials last night expressed confidence that the massive student march scheduled to be held in front of the White House Saturday would be a success.

Tocsin members in charge of transportation for the more than 300 Harvard and Radcliffe students planning to go to Washington said they did not think the snow would discourage many of the demonstrators. Last night four buses left Cambridge carrying about 175 students. Most of them were from Harvard and Radcliffe, but a large contingent from Brandeis was also aboard.

As of last night, it was impossible to estimate the effect the storm will have on student delegations from the Midwest and the South.

Threats of snow this afternoon, however, may dampen a demonstration today in Boston in support of the students going to Washington. The Hub march is planned for 2 to 4 p.m. in front of the State House.

A delegation of the marchers will present Governor Volpe with a copy of the policy statement of Project Washington. The demonstration in Boston will consist of periods of silence alternating with active picketing.

Peter J. Goldmark '62, chairman of Tocsin and one of the top leaders of Project Washington, left for Washington Wednesday, along with others in the Project's high command, to make final preparations. Goldmark did not think the adverse weather would cripple the march, since Tocsin is prepared to take anyone who wants to go on the chartered buses.

"Several drivers have told us they aren't going," John P. Weber '64, a transportation committee member said yesterday, "but those people have all decided to go down on the buses."

CRIMSON correspondents en route to Washington reported roads to be in moderately good condition.

Tonight's plans call for another fleet of buses to leave from Claverly at 9 p.m. to bring in additional students for the Saturday demonstrations. A snow-storm, predicted for this afternoon, could alter the plans, however.

According to revised schedules the Harvard buses should reach the nation's capital by 10 a.m. today. The students will visit Capitol Hill in the morning to bring the message of the policy statement home to congressmen and senators. A small demonstration at the White House is on the agenda for this afternoon but, again, heavy snows could change the plans.