Track Varsity To Face Yale At New Haven

By Michael S. Lottman

The winner of the mile in the Harvard-Yale-Princeton meet this afternoon in New Haven will run approximately 4:06. Whether that man is Mark Mullin of Harvard or Bobby Mack of Yale will have a great deal to do with determining the Big Three champion.

Yale has won every Big Three meet since 1958, but this year the Crimson is a slight favorite. For the first time since 1954, however, Princeton will be a factor, and the distribution of Tiger points will be of considerable interest to coaches Bill McCurdy of Harvard and Bob Giegengack of Yale.

Princeton, featuring 6 ft., 6 in. high jumper John Hartnett, 14 ft. pole vaulter Charlie Mitchell, 6.3 sprinter Hugh Macmillan, 1:12 600 man Lew Hitzrot, 2:13 1000 runners Pete Hoey and Whit Azoy, 4:18 miler Ted Johnson, and 9:18 two-miler Rod Zwirner, should be good for 36 points or thereabouts.

That leaves the Crimson and the Bulldogs to fight for the other 101. The division ought to be fairly even, no matter what kind of strategy McCurdy and the lovable "Gack" come up with.

Thus the battle between the two old rivals will be, as it has been so often in the past, the key to the meet. Last winter, Mack whipped a very sick Mullin in 4:13.7, and that was that Mack has already run 4:09.8 this season, and Mullin is healthy and about four seconds faster than last year; thus 4:06 is a distinct possibility.

Of course, one of Princeton's grand-pappy guys--Johnson and Zwirner, two service returnees who must be nearing their 30's by now--could mess up every thing, but this is at best dubious.

The 600, coming right after the mile, will also be somewhat crucial. Don Kirkland of the Crimson will be aiming for the University record of 1:12.0 against Yalie Wendell Mottley, who defeated him earlier this year in the K. of C. 500, and Hiterot.

Other hard-fought events should be the broad jump, in which any of six competitors could win, and the two-mile relay, which should produce a tight Harvard-Princeton battle. Princeton's twosome of Hoey and Azoy threatens in the 1000, but Mullin or Ed Hamlin, who seems to be on his way after a 1:57 880 leg against Holy Cross, should take first for the Crimson.

The Crimson will count heavily on its usual domination of the weight throw and shot put, while Yale should pile up points in the sprints, hurdles, and mile relay. What all this means is, like, it's going to be close.

Aggrey Awori, the record-breaking hurdler and sprinter, and newly-elected captain Art Croasdale will lead the Yardlings against the Yale and Princeton freshmen. Croasdale, normally a 55 ft. shot putter, will be hampered by an injured hand