Belin, Vellucci Continue Fight on Council Rules

By Bruce L. Paisner

Councillors G. d'Andelot Belin and E. Vellucci are continuing a battle over the new rules of the Cambridge City Council.

Several weeks ago, a special committee by Belin submitted a revised set of rules to the Council. Perhaps the most significant improvement was a clause ordering councillors who wish to introduce a bill to present it to the City Council at least five days before the Monthly meeting.

Belin, who proposed the change, argued it would give the members of the Council a chance to investigate and a measure before they had to it. Previously, new bills could be submitted during the session

Vellucci Infuriated

The rules' revision committee made changes, however, and one infuriated Vellucci. In an attempt to improve the Council's efficiency, Belin's committee cut out several standing committees which, they argued, "served no useful purpose." Among the casualties was Vellucci's Committee on Roads and Bridges. At the next meeting, before a vote be taken on the revised rules, Vellucci's Committee suddenly reported out --but to no avail. In a five to vote, Vellucci lost his campaign the revised rules rejected.

Since he could not defeat the new rules, Vellucci has spent the past few weeks constantly challenging their validity and authority, and attempting to demonstrate the sorry state into which the Council has fallen without a Committee on Roads and Bridges.

Belin Expresses "Distress"

At Monday's meeting, when Belin objected to considering a few routine matters which had not been submitted before last Thursday, Vellucci asked to have them all considered emergencies, and thus subject to immediate action. Belin finally rose to express "distress at the way the new rules are being side-stepped."

On several occasions, Vellucci has acted as if the old rules were still in effect, and when called to task by Belin or Councillor Joseph A. DeGuglielmo, the senior member of the rules' revision committee, has either moved for a suspension of the rules or, as on Monday, appealed to the Council for "emergency action."

Vellucci Infuriated

Belin Expresses "Distress"

Vellucci Infuriated

Belin Expresses "Distress"

Vellucci Infuriated

Belin Expresses "Distress"

Belin Expresses "Distress"