Walter Defends HUAC Before YDCHR Group

By Lawrence W. Feinberg, (Special to the CRIMSON)

WASHINGTON, March 1-Rep. E. Walter (D-Pa.) genially his House Un-American committee today before a group of but quietly respectful Harvard Democrats.

office decorated by autographed as of three Presidents and friendly and critical cartoons, the Chairman told the Young that the Committee's "nasty provided "necessary background ."

square fact is," Walter asserted, Congress is the sole judge of what it for the security of the country." must conduct a "continual of Communist activities to be Congress with current ust as the Committee on Inter and Foreign Commerce keeps a watch on corporation mergers, plained.

'liberals' claim that we infringe rights of people," Walter But I assure you that the calls people for the purpose of them."

maintained that 90 per cent of the to HUAC is based on misinstion. Lashing out at the signers of York Times advertisement of Feb. which accused HUAC of "setting against neighbor," Walter as that "these people don't Communism for what it is.

is not a political movement at all nobody should confuse it with the Socratic Party or the Socialist Party Republican Party. We are not neighbor against neighbor," . "We are moving against of a conspiracy."

relish Walter explained that the extended the committee's mandate by unanimous consent last year. Acknowledging that HUAC's $327 thous- and budget was large, Walter said, "I just wanted to see if it would start something." Some of the slight opposition to the request came from a crowd of "penny-pinchers," he maintained.

Most of the 15 YDCHR members who heard Walter were generally impressed by him and agreed with his observation that HUAC is not "bloodthirsty" as its critics maintain. After Walter spoke to the group, Alfred M. Nittle, the Committee's counsel, spent 45 minutes defending HUAC's legality in response to questions. Nittle claimed that Chief Justice Earl Warren offered "a gratuitous insult to the people" when he asked what un-American meant in a recent dissenting opinion. "The term is no more vague than due process," Nittle pointed out, "which the Court has no trouble trying to interpret."

Earlier, the group was shown through HUAC's 10-room suite which includes a million-name closed file of American Communists and an extensive collection of publications ranging from National Review to the Worker. The suite also has prominent pictures of U.S. Communist Party leaders and a large wall map of the U.S. with red pins showing the sites of Communist Party offices.

Nittle gave each member of the group a seven pound bundle of Committee publications.