Council Raps Solicitor On Transit View

By Bruce L. Paisner

A new plan to capture the Bennett St. yards and a possible strike by the Carmen's Union brought the MTA before the City Council yesterday.

Councillor Daniel J. Hayes, rebounding from a decision that Cambridge cannot now legally seize the MTA Yards by the power of eminent domain, ordered that the City investigate the possibility of taking the property "for urban renewal" as soon at the MTA announces an intention to sell.

The City Solicitor has determined that the City cannot seize any land already devoted to public use, but Hayes asserted yesterday that "once the MTA decides to sell the Yards it will obviously no longer need the land for public purposes."

Hayes further pointed out that the MTA must allow a three-week period for public bidding between the time it offers the land and actually completes the sale. "During that time," Hayes declared yesterday, "the City might be able to take the land from the MTA for a redevelopment or urban renewal project."

At a dramatic moment in yesterday's meeting, Councillor Joseph A. DeGuglielmo '28 called on Gov. Volpe to take action "to protect the people of this area" in case of a strike against the MTA by the Carmen's Union this Saturday.

DeGuglielmo urged that Volpe follow former Gov. Calvin Coolidge's stand that "no one can strike against the public interest" and take action either to prevent the strike or make sure the people are served if there is a strike.

"If necessary," DeGuglielmo declared, "Volpe must show courage and serve the public by declaring an emergency. He may even have to call out the National Guard to man the trains."