Rugby Club Wallops Villanova, 16-3, Gains First Victory of Fall Season

Backs Key to Victory

By Susan M. Rogers

The Harvard Rugby Club outplayed Villanova at Soldiers Field Saturday, in front of a noisy throng of visiting Villanova fans. It was a windy, crisp day, but even the wind proved little hindrance to the Crimson, as they whipped the Wildcats, 16-3.

The Crimson fifteen finally began playing rugby, not football. It seemed like a different team from their opener against New York. The backs worked together, and play was kept loose, but looseness often meant fumbling. The still-developing Harvard serum just managed to hold its own against a mediocre Villanova pack.

At the outset, play stayed too close to the Crimson end zone for comfort, but Harvard slowly forced Villanova all the way back. Team play by flyhalf Ross Shell, center Ray Vickers, and wing forward Lee Freeman resulted in wing Tag Sweeney's try half way through the first period. A successful conversion boosted the score to 5-0.

Then Villanova's fast, tough Bob Shayer scored, but the Philadephians were never going to take the game away from the Crimson. Freshman Quentin Spector scored a try which was converted. Then Ross Shiel of the Harvard Medical School followed with another and wrapped up the Crimson's scoring with a drop kick.

Harvard's ruggers may have a fine season if they continue their play of Saturday. Next Saturday the Boston Rugby Club, with several former Harvard players, will bring two teams to face Harvard in what should be an unusually spirited match.