Crimson Sailors to Toast Season

The Sporting Scene

By Bruce L. Paisner

The Harvard Yachting Club holds its annual dinner meeting tonight to toast the finest Crimson sailing team in recent years, a team which this fall won almost every major championship it competed for, and last spring finished second only to Coast Guard at the North American championships in California.

Perhaps the high point of the fall season was the Crimson victory in the Ivy League championship, held on the Charles in October. Heavy rain and winds of 30 knots swept the regatta an high point skipper Mike Horn and Captain Carter Ford led the Crimson to a 16 point triumph over second-place Cornell.

Also in October, Ford became the first skipper over to win the New England Sloop Championships three years in a row, Sailing with Horn, Rock Pring. and Pete Drake in 24 foot Ravens at the Coast Guard Academy, Ford overcame a foul-out and mastered winds of over 40 knots to engineer his victory over a strong Yale contingent.

Early in November, Crimson sailers copped the Leonard M. Fowie trophy with a near-perfect triumph in the New England Team Racing Championship. Ford, Horn, Mike Lehmann, and Dave Stockey swept through the preliminary eliminations and semi-finals with a perfect 10-0 record, and trounced Coast Guard in the finals, four races to one.

The Crimson team easily defended the Greater Boston Dinghy Championship, and Ford, Horn, and Lehmann mastered Princeton's weed-filled home waters to down Yale and Princeton in the Big Three Championship late in the season.

A great season started off insuspiciously, however, when Ford and Horn were trounced by Coast Guard in the Danmark Regatta, the first event of the fall, held in late September. The only other loss of the season, also to Coast Guard, came after a close finish in the Schell regatta, forcing the Crimson to relinquish the Schell trophy which it won in 1961.