'Cliffe Applications Up 10%; Scholarship Requests Drop

By Mary L. Wissler

The number of applications for admission to Radcliffe's Class of '67 has increased ten per cent over last year, Margaret W. Stimpson, acting Dean of Admissions, said yesterday.

With all forms in, Mrs. Stimpson reported a total of 1800 applications, 200 more than last year, for 300 places in next year's freshman class. Mrs. Stimpson said that the increase is due to the fact that Radcliffe "is becoming better known each year," and to the amount of national publicity which the college has received recently. After the article on Radcliffe in Life last month "there was a surge of applications, most of which unfortunately came too late to be considered."

Eighty-eight girls have already been accepted for admittance next fall under the early decision program. Other applicants will be notified April 24. Among those seeking admission are 53 foreign students from such countries as Canada, China, England, Japan, and France.

Although the number of applications has increased, Betty L. Marple, director of Financial Aid, reported that the number of girls requesting scholarships has gone down by about ten per cent. Only 40 per cent of this year's applicants--750 girls--asked for scholarships, as opposed to 50 per cent last year and in most previous years.

Mrs. Marple noted that at present about one fourth of the 'Cliffies are receiving financial aid from Radcliffe, part of which is always given as a loan. An additional seven per cent of the college receives aid from outside sources.

Radcliffe gives a total of $250,000 in scholarships and an additional $90,000 in loans. This money comes from endowments, alumnae funds, and from tuition.