Diamond Team Has Replacement Problem; Pitching Staff Could Be Major Strength

By Joseph M. Russin

Take a pretty good college baseball team and subtract the guts of the League's best infield, the League's leading hitter, a player now working in the N.Y. Giants farm system, and a starting pitcher. The result is some thing resembling the 1963 Harvard squad.

But don't panic. Despite the loss of several players who were essential to the Crimson's surprising dash for the Eastern pennant, coach Norm Shepard might produce another contender.

While Harvard may not sustain the incredible .277 batting average that allowed it to smash just about everyone last year, there should be enough residual plate power to support a potentially superb pitching staff.

Last year at this time Paul Del Rossi was an unknown sophomore who some people thought might win a ball game or two. He returns this Spring with the best record of any pitcher in Crimson history (10-1, 1.40 ERA) and a central figure in Shepard's planning.

Not a fireball hurler, lefty Del Rossi teases his opponents with twisters, change-ups and curves. His pick-off motion surpasses that of many major leaguers.

Second man in the rotation will probably be Dick Garibaldi, who developed rapidly towards the end of last season, gaining a 5-1 mark. Garibaldi's main weakness is lack of variety, but with improved finesse he could become nearly as reliable as Del Rossi.

Bill Guzzetti, a fast-baller who played JV ball most of last year, and Tom Rucker, a sophomore, are being considered for the third slot, Guzzetti has the speed to collect strikeouts, but like Garibaldi, could use a wider assortment of pitches.

Rucker is a possible gift from God. During his junior year in high school in Oklahoma he so impressed the St. Louis Cardinals that they reportedly offered him a substantial bonus. The following fall, however, he injured his shoulder in a football game and hasn't been able to throw hard since.

Last year he compiled an adequate 3-1 record on the freshman team, but lacked the brilliance that distinguished his earlier efforts. If his arm finally responds this season, he and Del Rossi could easily provide the Crimson with 18 wins. But that's big if.

While this pitching talent is encouraging, Shepard is a bit worried about who will catch the masterful deliveries. Dick Diehl, who caught last year, wrenched his knee and ankle in a skiing accident in January. He is just beginning to walk without pain; squatting behind the plate for nine innings is considerably more difficult and he may not be up to it for some time.

Much hope, therefore, is being placed in Gary Miller, a sophomore who worked behind the plate for the freshman team last year. In addition to doing a fine defensive job, he maintained a .380 average. That mark is impressive enough to tempt Shepard to place Miller else where on the field should Diehl fully recover.

Last year's infield averaged about .340 at the plate and performed splendidly on defense. Only one man from that remarkable group--second baseman Terry Bartolet--is back.

Bartolet is clearly one of the best men on the team. He led the squad in hitting (.374). in hits (34), and was third in RBIs (16). While not a feast man, he more than adequately covered the territory around the second sack.

If second is safe, down at third Shepard has real problems. It will be hard to replace tiny Mike Drummey, who led the Eastern League with an active .471 bat. Several boys are in the running, but lee Sargeant seems to be leading the race for the job. Sargeant has a powerful cross-diamond throw, and could develop into a steady single producer at the plate.

Tom Bilodeau presently appears to have the task of succeeding Dave Morse at shortstop. (Morse, the team's captain last year, is now with Class A El Paso, a Giant farm club.) Bilodeau hit .390 for the freshman last season, kept in shape by lettering in football this Fall. He has the speed and fielding skills for the job, but may need some seasoning before double plays are a certainty.

Should any of these potential starters fail to make it, Shepard can move in Bob St. George. The trouble with St. a right fielder to use as an infielder. In George is that he may be too useful as Harvard's Splinter Stadium field, right is a notoriously tricky pasture. It takes a man with St. George's extraordinary fielding skills to effectively control files in the area.

There is no question about St. George finding a job somewhere on the diamond. Last year, despite his skimpy .246 average, he managed to lead the team in RBIs (31). Towards the end of the season Shepard spotted a weakness in his wrist action, and with that straightened out, little Bobby could conceivably become a .300 hitter this time around.

Possible power, if not a high batting average could come from first base where former JV Players Jim Mullen and Tom Stephenson are currently batting for position. Both are very much alike in plate style, and both are capable of long-distance hits. Whether they can clutch hit as regularly as departed first sucker Phil Bernstein is a big question.

Aside from St. George, the outfield should contain Gavin Gilmor and Curly Combs, but don't bet on it. Two sophomores--Mike Patrick (.400 with the freshmen) and King Triplett (whose name should earn him a place on any baseball team even if his but were not accurate) have looked good in early practice.

Gilmor, though, led the team last year in home runs, was second in RBIs, and posted a .341 average. Combs, while only .250, was Improving steadily. If they can regain their 1962 polish the sophomores will have to wait a year.

All this adds up to a club with strong potential. The team is reasonably fast, should be light defensively, and possesses at least one of the best college pitchers in the east. With a few hits, they could make things interesting for perennial powerhouse Navy.