Amid Boston Overdose Crisis, a Pair of Harvard Students Are Bringing Narcan to the Red Line

At First Cambridge City Council Election Forum, Candidates Clash Over Building Emissions

Harvard’s Updated Sustainability Plan Garners Optimistic Responses from Student Climate Activists

‘Sunroof’ Singer Nicky Youre Lights Up Harvard Yard at Crimson Jam

‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6

Law, History, Sociology Professors May Initiate Course on Civil Rights

By Peter Cummings

Civil rights may become the subject of a new Gen Ed course next year. Tentative ideas for such a course are being discussed by Mark DeWolfe Howe '28, professor of Law, Stanley N. Kats '55, assistant professor of History, and Thomas F. Pettigrew, associate professor of Social Psychology.

So far, no plans are definite. The three faculty members involved still have to discuss the proposal with their their respective departments and the course will need the approval of the Committee on General Education.

If the civil rights course is offered in 1965-66, it will probably be a full course. According to Howe, it may be "a small experimental thing" limited to juniors and seniors.

Soc Rel 134 May End

The new course would probably bring an end to Social Relations 134, Pettigrew's course in race relations. "I hope to replace my present course with something like this," Pettigrew said.

According to Howe, "Civil rights is perhaps the central problem of morality in our country at this time. The University ought to have a course specifically devoted to this topic."

Howe also felt that the course should not be rigidly divided into the areas of law, social psychology, and history, but rather should let these aspects of the problem complement each other throughout the year.

Kats believed that "there is obviously enough interest in the contemporary civil rights movement," to warrant a course which would put this movement in an academic perspective.

Long active in civil rights activities, Professor Howe recently volunteered to work with COFO next summer in Mississippi.