Sizer Might Be Named New Dean of Ed School

By Hendrik Hertzberg

President Pusey will recommend the appointment of a new Dean of the Faculty of Education when the Board of Overseers meets March 9, several informed sources reported yesterday. The sources said that the new Dean will probably be Theodore R. Sizer, director of the Master of Arts in Teaching Program.

If Sizer is appointed, he will be the first person to hold the position permanently since Francis Keppel '38 resigned to become United States Commissioner of Education in November, 1962. President Pusey has been acting Dean since last June, when Judson T. Shaplin, then the acting Dean, left Harvard for Washington University.

In addition to his job as head of the M.A.T. Program, Sizer currently holds the titles of assistant professor of Education and research associate in the Center for Studies in Education and Development.

Under Pusey, Sizer has taken an active part in the administration of the Graduate School of Education. The four-man administrative council which handles the day-to-day operations of the Ed School includes Sizer, Ed School secretary Dana Cotton, and assistant deans Edward G. Kaebler and Joseph J. Young, Jr.

Sizer, who did his graduate work at the Ed School, helped formulate changes in the M.A.T. Program which will go into effort next fall. The changes include the introduction of a tutorial system to the program, which awards a degree after two semesters of study.

In a 25th anniversary report on the program last year, Sizer said that the M.A.T., an attempt to bridge the gap between "subject-matter" and education courses, had produced so many qualified teachers that it "must be considered a success."