Swimmers Defeat Cornell

By John D. Gerhart

Things went pretty much as usual in the swimming world Saturday. The varsity rolled over Cornell without any trouble, 61-34, and freshman Bill Shrout broke another University record.

This time Shrout chose the 100-yard freestyle record, which he tied last week against Princeton. His time of 43.1 knocked half a second off the record first set by Bruce Hunter. Almost as impressive was freshman. Stephen Coy, whose second place clocking of 49-2 in the 100-yard freestyle was faster than any varsity time this year. Shrout and Coy led the freshmen to a hard-fought 50-45 victory over Andover.

The varsity swimmers took nine of eleven events, including both relays, on their way to victory. Only Cornell sophomore Ed Gray, with firsts in, the individual medley and the backstroke, prevented a total rout by the Crimson.

If Army beats Princeton next week and if Harvard loses to Yale, Saturday's win over Cornell will give the Crimson a tie for third in the Eastern Intercollegiate League.

Next Saturday the Crimson faces Yale in what will be largely an exhibition meet for the Yalies. One ominous portent was Yale's 72-22 victory over Princeton, a team that beat Harvard 65-30 the previous week.