Freshman Nine Wins, 7-6 On Wild Pick-off Attempt

By Joel R. Kramer

A wild pickoff throw to third base in the bottom of the ninth handed the freshman nine a windy win yesterday at home against Springfield. The 7-6 decision upped the freshman record to 9-1.

Ray Peters, a 6' 5" righthanded hurier, was trying to come back from the arm trouble he incurred while warming up for Northeastern two weeks ago. Peters was shelled for seven runs in five innings against N.U., but he began his recovery with five strikeouts in two innings against Tufts last Saturday.

Yesterday, he was not as fast as he's been, but he was effective. He gave up three runs (only one of them earned) and four hits in six and a third innings, striking out nine and walking five.

Second baseman-Joel Markowski helped him out with a grand slam home run in the second inning -- a line shot mis-misjudged by the Springfielder. Markowski knocked in another run in the sixth on a single, after catcher Paul Saba had doubled.

Springfield tied it up against reliever George Lalich in the ninth on a three-run homer to deep left.

Shortstop Pete Karegaennes led off the bottom of the ninth with an infield single, and first baseman Ken O'Connell lined a single to center, moving the runner to second. Both men advanced on Leo Laverdore's fly to center field. Dennis Horger walked to load the bases, and with Saba at the plate, the fatal pickoff throw ended the procedings.

It was a typical ballgame for this year's freshman squad: Harvard pitchers notched 12 strikeouts (they have been averaging about 1.5 per inning). The Crimson did not overpower opposing pitchers, but they came up with the timely hit, and took advantage of passed balls, errors, and walks.

Markowski Leads Hitters

Markowski leads the Crimson hitters with a .344 average and nine RBI's. Karegeannes is batting .308 with nine RBI's, and Horger is at .300 with 4 RBI's. Third-sacker John Ignacio has nine RBI's and a .281 average. The rest of the starters are down under .250, except for Laverdore, who missed part of the season and has six hits in 14 trips.

Three men have shared the pitching, Lalitch, who got the win today, is now 4-0, Peters is 2-1, including an 18 strike out two-hitter against Holy Cross before he hurt his arm. Bob Dorwart will stake his 3-0 record against the Eli freshmen at New Haven this Saturday.

In their only Ivy match, the Crimson dumped Brown 7-6 with two runs in the final frame. After Yale, they go to Hanover Monday to duel Dartmouth and close out their season with Andover on Wednesday. And then, for some, it is on to the varsity.