Lampoon Plans Big Profit On Parody of Bunny Book

By Stephen D. Lerner

The Lampoon will publish a parody of maybe this August which, if it sells, made to make them a profit that is no etc.

The Lampoon plans to sell 530,000 copiers of the special parody at $1.25 each. It should hit the international market August 8 for a 90 day run.

The magazine which will sport a cover graced with the lovely lines of Terre Packer (Playmates of November, 1964) arrayed in the Lampoon's somewhat modified Fester costume, stands to make a clear profit of $100,000 if there is a complete sell out.

With Playboy helping with the promotion of the parody and by using Regan Press and Independent News Distribution the 'Poonies have a good chance if making a typhoon killing. Unlike the other three college parodies of Playboy this year -- Layboy by Stanford Shaparael, Placebo by the Princeton Tiger, and Pellboy by the California Pellican at Berkely -- the Lampoen centerfold will be Playboy color. The girl on the fold, toute nue, will be a spot different from Playboy's regular sun-tanned beauties. Lying on a red white and blue blanket by the sea under the hot sun, the bunny will be white where it's right and tanned where its banned.

On the less colorful level, the Lampoon will face a $140,000 printing bill which they plan to compile from the 20 per cent advance plus shipping costs which are all non-refundable, the revenue from 75,000 copies which have already been bought by Feffer and Simons, and two guarantors who are leading $25,000 apiece. In addition the "Poon stands to make $20,000 from 30 pages of national advertisement -- something which no college magazine has accomplished before.

The parody will be sold next to Playboy and should bring in a lot of money. The only rub seems to be that the Lampoon is a non-profit organization.