Forwards Bogovich, Gomez Pace Undefeated Freshman Booters

By Andrew Jamison

The freshman soccer team has a drill in which two players pass back and forth down the field, trying to set up a good shot. All the forwards practice it, but when you watch it for a while, you keep waiting for the times Solomon Gomez and Peter Bogovich head downfield.

They're a pleasure to watch--the short stocky Gomez from Gambia and the tall, lean Bogovich from Yugoslavia. Together they can probably do all that can be done with or to a soccer ball.

A particular favorite of Gomez' is heading the ball over the goalie's outstretched arms from 15 feet, but he also has a tricky little shot where he flicks the ball in with the ouside of his left foot while running at full speed.

"Bogo" has a more basic approach to shooting--just kick the ball so hard that it is impossible to stop. After futilely trying for several of his shots yesterday, goalie Bill Meyers commented. "He just doesn't miss."

Bogovich barely winds up, and has a minimum amount of approach. By just bending his leg at the knee and firing away, he manages to get super human power into a soccer shot.

The Mutt-and-Jeff pair has accounted for 17 of the 19 goals the Yardling booters have scored this season in their first three games. Gomez, with four in the last contest--a 7-0 bombardment of Boston University--has tallied nine times in all, while his lanky sidekick has booted in eight.

Stingy Goalie

Although Gomez and Bogovich are particularly impressive, the talent on this year's frosh soccer squad--which journeys to Exeter this afternoon--doesn't end by any means with the two foreigners. There's the goalie Meyers, who has let in only one enemy score in three games. There are the wing halfbacks. Bob Cutler and John Gordon, whom coach Dana Getchell calls the leaders of his defense.

Further back field are two strong fullbacks. Ron McClain and Bill Brock, who haven't really been challenged yet so the verdict isn't in on them.

Filling out the starting lineup are the boys who have accounted for the other two goals the team has scored--inside Steve Meiklejohn and wing-turned-halfback Tom Ferguson. Ferguson will most likely start at center half today due to injuries to three of the players who usually occupy the middle of the field.

The other forwards are John Runyan. Dick Uesto, who has played "very consisten ball for uts so far," according o Getchell. Billy Rosberg, and Jim Hivnor. Getchell noted last night that Hivnor "is getting increasingly good. He's shown a lot of improvement."

In addition to B.U., the frosh have whipped Tufts and M.I.T., by 6-1 and 6-0 scores, respectively. After Exeter, a team that Getchell says "doesn't give up any goals--only 3 in seven games," the booters have a rough game on Friday against Dartmouth, who knocked off perennially strong Brown, 1-0, two days ago.

But if Gomez and Bogovich keep working on that drill, the freshmen shouldn't have all that much trouble with anybody. In fact, the Harvard soccer team might be pretty well set for a long time to come.