Soccer Team Meets Penn In Crucial League Match

By Andrew Jamison

With his team healthier than it has been in several weeks, soccer coach Bruce Munro is still more concerned about the Penn game this weekend than he has been about any previous contest this year.

The Quakers, who snapped a 47-game Navy winning streak two weeks ago and tied super-strong Brown the week before that, ran into a little trouble at Princeton Saturday, and could only eke out a 1-0 decision over the Tigers. But Munro is still worried.

"I guess I'm a pessimist at heart," the Crimson coach said yesterday, "but I take that Penn-Princeton score to show more about Princeton's defensive strength than the weakness of the Penn Club. And don't forget, the Quakers are next to impossible to beat at home"-- which is where the Harvard booters play Penn this Saturday.

Munro has had his team practicing on the House soccer field, which is of comparable size to the unusually narrow grounds in Philadelphia. (This leaves Cumnock Field available for the key Dunnster-Eliot game tomorrow.)

Only Dave Wright and Bob Grey--the starting fullbacks--have shown any ill effects from the Dartmouth game this past Friday. Munro admitted that Grey --who suffered a groin pull--might not be ready this weekend, but said that Wright, the strong, bespectacled senior defensive specialist, who strained his back, should play at Penn.

Should either fullback be unable to play this weekend, junior Hilary Worthen would start. And if neither Grey nor Wright is healthy enough for duty, Geoff Keppel, the versatile Colombian who has played wing and halfback for Munro so far this year, will most likely get the call.

Jay Breese, the junior goalie who did an admirable job starting his first varsity game Friday, will open the Penn game in the nests. Although Dick Locksley, the sophomore who had filled in for senior John Axten five weeks ago, won't be ready this weekend, Axten will--but just to back up Breese. Locksley was hurt in the Cornell game two weeks ago, and Axten is recovering from a kidney injury suffered against Amherst.

In other Ivy action this past weekend, Cornell--which held the Crimson to a 2-2 tie--nipped Yale, 1-0. Brown topped Army in a non-league game. Harvard is now in a four-way tie with Penn, Brown, and Cornell for the Ivy lead--each with a 2-0-1 record.