Cook, 3 Backs In jured; Goldberg To Alternate

By James K. Glassman

After two and a half years of sitting on the bench, watching star halfbacks like Bobby Leo and Vic Gatto and just-a-little-betters like Will Stargel and Ray Horn-blower do the playing, Marshall Goldberg will get his chance Saturday.

Injuries have partially hobbled half-backs Gatto and Hornblower, and, according to offensive backfield coach Pat Stark, Goldberg will be alternating for the two, who started against Penn last week.

It is all part of a very large adjustment being made for the Princeton contest because of injuries to key men. Gus Crim, who replaced Gary Strandemo at number one fullback for the Penn match, has been sidelined with a sprained ankle he suffered against the Quakers: Crim should be back in time for Yale; meatime, Strandemo has his old position again.

Cook

End Joe Cook may be out for the year, says Stark. Plagued by various leg injuries, he has missed half the season's play already. Instead of normal replacement Fritz Reed, Harvard will be starting sophomore John Kiernan.

Stark says that Hornblower will probably start, but Goldberg should see at least as much action. Zimmerman, then, will be working with a fairly light and swift backfield (if Gatto's slight ankle injury doesn't slow him down too much.)

Without Crim, the Crimson will lack inside punch. With this situation and with Zimmerman's new-found throwing arm, Harvard could be relying on passes to penetrate the strong Tiger defense.

Goldberg

For Goldberg, the opportunity is certainly an encouraging one. After playing second fiddle for so long, he seemed to have a good chance to work into a starting position this year. But a severe staph infection ended that.

Goldberg, missed three weeks of play at the start of the season. He lost 22 pounds during the time of his illness.

But Goldberg recovered swiftly. Last week against Penn, he whipped down the right sideline on a 80-yard touchdown sprint, outrunning the entire Quaker defense for Harvard's final score of the day--the one that pushed the Crimson over the 40-point mark for the third time this year.