Yale Golfers Nip Tigers, Win League Title Again

By James K. Glassman

Yale's golf team nipped Princeton Saturday the same way it nipped Harvard last week to win its tenth Ivy League title in 13 years.

The Ivy championship was decided on the 20th hole of the number two match, after the other six contests had deadlocked at 3-3. When the Tigers' Mike Porter took a double-bogey, the Eli win ended all of Harvard's hopes for a title.

The Crimson was banking on a Princeton win over Yale and then a Harvard win over Princeton this Saturday to produce a three-way tie, but Yale coach Al Wilson and his crew had other ideas. The Tigers, whose loss to Yale was their only Ivy setback, will now meet the Crimson to decide second place.

Also last weekend, while Yale and Princeton were settling the title, Harvard dropped out of the New England Intercollegiate championships at Providence. R.I. because of the weather "It poured and poured." Bo Keefe said last night. "It was just the worst possible weather."

Sophomores Tom Wynne, Paul Old-field, and Bruce LoPucki played early in the day and finished 18 holes before the rains came. But captain Brian McGuinn and Keefe started at 1:30 p.m. and four hours later had finished only nine holes. Cooney Weiland's approval, they quit.

McGuinn and Keefe were playing well too. They were only three over par at the Quidnesset Country Club course. Wynne was low man among Harvard's finishers with an 81.

Providence College won the tourney, and the University of Rhode Island was second; Harvard usually does not play in the New Englands.

Yesterday, M.I.T. handed the Crimson its ninth match victory of the year, by forfeit. Harvard's record now stands at 9-3 with Dartmouth tomorrow and Princeton Saturday remaining on the schedule.