Poor Weather Slows Down Talented Freshman Netmen

Sports '70

By Andrew Jamison

The freshman tennis team was the team most hurt by this year's minispring. The netmen, coached to a 5-3 record by Corey Wynn. "had a lot of potential, but the weather hurt their singles development," Wynn said.

"In the three matches we lost, the boys played hard, but just couldn't pull cut that clutch point," Wynn added. Larry Terrell, the top man, could never really get his power game unleashed, but still had a creditable 4-4 record.

Clarke Kawakami, the captain and number two man, overcame inconsistency in the early going to have a good season. "Butch came on quite well toward the end, and played a great match against Yale," Wynn said of Kawakami. He played first doubles, with Eric Wise, the third singles man, who was probably the squad's most consistent player. Wise, Harvard's only loser at Brown, reversed that contest by winning the only match at Princeton. He had a 6-2 record.

Wise and Kawakami, once they got their net games working, became an excellent doubles combination, leading sweeps in the doubles competition in both the Dartmouth and Yale contests which closed the season.

Terrell, the Eastern junior squash champion, teamed with Peter Abrams, the fourth singles player, at second doubles. Abrams, who also played number two on the squash team, was "one of our best volleyers," according to Wynn. Bill Ball and Pat Hindert, the third doubles combine, were "our hardest-working players," Wynn said.

"Ball had a hard game and improved real well during the season," he said. "Hindert played a whole week with a broken bone in his leg, before we realized it was broken. He gave us 100 per cent all the time," Wynn pointed out.

The squad lost to Andover, Princeton, and Choate. Against Andover, there were four 3-set singles matches; yet Wise won the only one for Harvard. At Princeton, Mike Ezell, at number six, pushed his man for three and a half hours before losing a heartbreaking match. The Choate defeat, a 9-0 whitewash, was even more humiliating. "We were leading in every match when it started to rain, and we came back and lost them all," Wynn said.

"But I was real happy to see the boys come back and whip Dartmouth and Yale after losing to Choate that way," he added.