Runners Set Records This Summer; Pats Must Do Without Davis, Leo

By Andrew Jamison

Somewhat overshadowed by the crew's successes in Canada and Europe, Harvard's two super sophomore track stars, miler Roy Shaw and half-miler Keith Colburn, managed to run themselves into the University record books this summer with outstanding performances overseas.

Shaw led a combined Harvard-Yale squad over an Oxford-Cambridge team in London last June with a 4:03 clocking for his specialty, chopping some two seconds off the Harvard record and four off his previous best time. Unfortunately, Shaw pulled a muscle in England, and only started running again in August and is just now back in top shape.

But the summers big story was Colburn. The red-haired freshman captain emeritus followed up his victory in the Oxford-Cambridge meet with a spectacular 1:48 880 in the British nationals in July. Since Colburn was wearing a Harvard jersey in that race, official word has it that that time will be accepted as a university record. And then the next week, in Dublin, Ireland, Colburn upset the former Villanova star, IC4A champion, and Olympic finalist Noel Carroll, running a 1:49.1 half to whip the Irishman in his home town.

Colburn, who campaigned all summer in Europe, also posted a 47.5 quarter mile-leg, the fastest quarter n his career, in helping win the mile relay for his club in the British club championships. His strong half mile-leg in the medley relay likewise helped his team cop that title.

In football, Dave Davis and Bobby Leo, members of the class of 1967 drafted by the Boston Patriots, both won't be with that team this season for different reasons. The six-foot, 235-pound Davis, the Crimson's all-Ivy defensive tackle, reactivated an old injury in training camp and was dropped from the team.

Leo, the all-America halfback who holds almost all of Harvard's rushing records, is currently serving a sixmonth hitch in the U.S. Army, and will reportedly join the Patriots in November.

Harvard's professional baseball players, senior Bob Welz and Dan Hootstein, last year's captain, both spent disappointing seasons in the minor leagues. Neither got over the 200 mark, making the big leagues look that much further away.

For the third time in history, Harvard Stadium was used for pro football this summer, as the Patriots played two exhibition games on the hallowed ground. But even the stadium couldn't help the Patriots against two National Football League foes, the Baltimore Colts and the Washington Redskins, both of which whipped the home forces.