Strike May Hit 'Cliffe After Council Meeting

By Carol R. Sternhell

Radcliffe will be faced with a strike of 110 workers on Tuesday unless this afternoon's meeting of the Radcliffe College Council comes up with an offer acceptable to members of local 254 of the Building Services International Union.

The Union is asking for an increase in wages to a level above that now in effect at Harvard and for the right to submit promotional grievances to arbitration, Edward T. Sullivan, the Union's negotiator, said yesterday

Explaining why the union refused Radcliffe's "final offer" last week of wages at about Harvard level, Sullivan said, "Harvard is far behind other colleges in the wages it offers."

Workers threatening to strike include maintenance people, dormitory maids, and dining hall waitresses, according to J. Boyd Britton, vice-president of Radcliffe and the College's negotiator.

The cooks and other kitchen help are not included in the Union, Britton said. Thus the food would be available for students to serve themselves.

A petition being circulated at Radcliffe urges students not to strikebreak by doing their own serving. The petition, organized by an ad hoc committee unaffiliated with any other group, claims that "waitresses earn $1.44 an hour, maids earn $1.84 an hour but can only work part time, and janitors earn $2.45 an hour."