Harvard Muffles Lions Roar, 51-0

By Martin R. Garay

The Crimson varsity football team opened its Ivy League competition by posting its most inhumane score ever against an Ivy League team. The Harvard football machine rolled over the hapless Lions, 51-0, Saturday afternoon at Soldiers' Field.

Coach John Yovicsin didn't plan such a one-sided romp. In fact he put in the second, third and fourth string teams to keep things charitable. However, these reinforcements scored 27 points, three more than the first string.

Sound of Silence

The defense, hampered by injuries to some of its star performers, silenced the Lion's roar very soundly. It was the first time the Columbia football team had failed to score since its opener in 1966.

Unlike last week's game against Boston University, the Crimson football team played as a well-coordinated unit. Much of the credit goes to first string quarterback Dave Smith who took control of the offensive unit on the first set of plays with the self-confidence of a seasoned veteran.

Smith moved the ball from Harvard's 33-yard line to Columbia's 15, using a variety of plays directed at the weak left side of the Lion defensive line. The slippery grass prevented a touchdown but the moist air didn't affect Richie Szaro's field goal attempt. The score stood 3-0 and Harvard had kept control of the ball for five minutes.

Bare Feet

The Lion's John Dario barely had time to feel the ball before the fire-up Crimson defense made him give it up.

Two plays later Ray Hornblower scored a touchdown for the Crimson only to have it called back because of offsetting penalties. It didn't affect the offensive unit at all. They scored 12 plays later, Szaro kicked the extra point, and Harvard led, 10-0.

Once again Columbia's offensive attack was short lived-in fact it lasted for less than one play. Harvard's Dave Ignacio intercepted Dario's first down pass.

The Crimson did not score, but in the first period they had kept control of the ball for nearly 131/2 minutes.

In the second period. Smith continued to call a line game. His passing and halfback options totally befuddled the Lion defense.

The first touchdown in the second period came on an option to Hornblower. He ran to the right, looked for a receiver, but decided to run, scoring from 43 yards out. Szaro made it good once more and Harvard led by 17.

The final score in the first half came on a pass from Dave Smith to end Bruce Freeman. He hit him on the 24-yard line and Freeman carried it in. Szaro made it 24-0.

In the third period, fog and inertia covered the field. The only eventful moment was Gary Singleterry's 54-yard punt.

Free Substitution

Yovicsin substituted freely in the fourth period, but the Crimson attack was not weakened. Jim Reynolds took a lateral from John O'Grady and passed to sophomore Steve Harrison for a touchdown. Walter Johnson intercepted a pass and ran for a touchdown. Joe Roda passed to Dennis Sullivan for a touchdown. Rex Blankenship lateralled to Harrison for the final touchdown. Szaro converted on all but one and somewhere in the Stadium two dogs yawned.