Possibility of Trouble Cancels YAF March

By Michael E. Kinsley

(Special to the CRIMSON)

WASHINGTON, D.C., Nov, 14-Young Americans for Freedom (YAF) has cancelled, on orders from the White House, a counter-march planned for Saturday.

"The White House said it would be better if we didn't march because we'd just get arrested along with everybody else, and because we'd get beaten up by the militants." said Brad Evans, YAF coordinator for D. C. activities.

A less extreme conservative group called "Americans for Peace-Not Surrender" plans to join the main march against the war, however.

Although YAF will not march, "some of us are going to brave the crowd anyway to pass out literature, until things start getting violent," Evans said.

On Thursday night, according to Evans, demonstrators broke into a YAF meeting and ripped up some of the group's literature. One YAF'er was hospitalized after the resulting fracas, Evans said.

The Committee for a Week of National Unity, an amalgamation of veterans' and other conservative groups, plans speeches and rallies throughout the weekend. The organization, which includes Bob Hope, sponsored last Tuesday's "Freedom Rally" at the Washington Monument.

During the past two days, a large truck has been driving through Washington, carrying mock tombstones labeled with the names of countries that have "fallen" to Communism, along with the dates they fell. The last one reads: "USA?"