Former Defense Department General Counsel Appointed Harvard’s Top Lawyer

Democracy Center Protesters Stage ‘Emergency Rally’ with Pro-Palestine Activists Amid Occupation

Harvard Violated Contract With HGSU in Excluding Some Grad Students, Arbitrator Rules

House Committee on China to Probe Harvard’s Handling of Anti-CCP Protest at HKS

Harvard Republican Club Endorses Donald Trump in 2024 Presidential Election

Dunster Men Develop Coed Plan; Hope to Exchange With the 'Cliffe

By John G. Simon

Reacting to their exclusion from this spring's coed living exchange, the men of Dunster House are striking back with a coed living plan of their own.

"We're trying to get together a plan involving 50 Dunster House men and 50 Cliffies from the off-campus houses," Mark Kaplan '71, Dunster House Committee secretary, said. "So far we've received 55 signed commitments from guys willing to move to the "Cliffe," he added.

In leaflets distributed at Radeliffe last week, the Dunster House Committee said that they originally intended to be included in the spring exchange approved by the Faculty last week. But they charged that the plan died when a Faculty committee "issued an impossible-to-fulfill ultimatum to Master Pappenheimer and to Dunster."

The committee, chaired by Jerome Kagan, professor of Development Psychology, "gave us a three hour notice to bring in a concrete proposal, despite the fact that there were still a lot of unanswered questions involving the role of Claverly, Mather House people, and signed commitments to move," Kaplan said.

Last Tuesday, the Faculty passed a proposed experimental exchange program involving Adams, Lowell, and Winthrop Houses, without debate.

Too Late

"It's a little late to do anything about Dunster not being included. They rejected us out of fear that the whole exchange would be rejected if the plan became too involved and complicated." Alvin M. Pappenheimer, Master of Dunster House, said after the vote.

"Nobody knows what would have happened if the proposal had been introduced early in the meeting, rather than at 6 p.m. There was no debate and barely a quorum voted on it," he added

"The Dunster House Committee thinks that if "we're able to come up with a concrete proposal of names and places before vacation that we'll be able to generate enough student support to enlist the aid of the proper officials," Kaplan said.