Crimson Defeats Tiger Sextet, 5-2

By Mark H. Odonoghue

Harvard's varsity hockey team encountered unexpected resistance in defeating a lowly Princeton sextet, 5-2, last night at Baker Rink in Princeton N.J.

Last in the Ivy League standings, the Tigers did not figure to be a threat to the powerful Crimson squad, but it contained Harvard's high-scoring forwards in a repeat of its 5-2 loss to the skaters earlier this season.

The Crimson's victory lengthened its streak to eight games and raised its record to 15-4-1. Harvard only has three remaining contests--two against Yale and one against Cornell--and will finish with its finest record since 1962-3 even if it wins only one of the games.

Harvard was never seriously threatened, as it led 2-0 at the end of the first period and 4-1 at the end of the second. Five different skaters scored in the game: Dan DeMichele, Joe Cavanagh, Steve Owen, Ron Mark, and George McManama.

DeMichele was the leading scorer for the winners with his one goal and two assists. The other two forwards on Harvard's high-powered sophomore line--Cavanagh and Owen--added a goal apiece to up their scoring totals to 52 and 38, respectively, tops for the team.

Cavanagh, who has not been shut out of the scoring column yet this year, has amassed the highest point total since Bob Cleary--now freshman hockey coach--led the nation in scoring with 72 points in 1957-8.

Princeton goal tender Middie Tilghman proved to be a sturdy defense against Harvard's onslaughts, making 38 saves. Bruce Durno made 32 saves for Harvard.