Harvard Six Overpower Elis, 7-2; Victory Extends Win Streak to 9

By Mark H. Odonoghue

Harvard's hockey team scored two goals in the first three minutes, and then glided almost effortlessly to a 7-2 victory over Yale Saturday at the Boston Arena before almost 3000 spectators.

The win--the Crimson's ninth straight--gave the skaters a 9-1 Ivy mark and a 16-4-1 overall record. They are second behind Cornell in both the ECAC and Ivy standings.

The Eli's could not cope with Harvard's uniformly aggressive lines and only challenged Crimson goalie Bruce Dunro in spurts, forcing him and Bill Diercks (who played ten minutes in the third period) to make only 19 saves. Yale goal tender John Cole made 45 saves.

Steve Owen was the only Crimson to score more than once; his two goals raised his season total to 21, high for the team. Dan DeMichele and Joe Cavanagh, the other two sophomores on the line, added three and two points respectively.

The Elis' survived one Crimson turn before Jack Turco deflected a Dave Jones slap shot between Cole's legs for the opening score at 1:18.

Sustaining the fast pace, Harvard added its second score at 2:23 on a goal by Owen. Cavanagh started the play by recovering the puck behind the cage and slipping it around the post to DeMichele. DeMichele snapped a quick wrist shot, which Owen deflected for the score.

Ware ended the scoring for the period at 18:32, knocking a rebound into an empty net from close quarters.

Ron Mark gave the Crimson a four-goal lead with his score at 4:12, decking Cole on a spectacular breakaway.

Yale rebounded momentarily to score both its goals while the teams were a man down. Sophomore Bob Ufer contributed the first on a breakaway and then his classmate Brian Bird dribbled through three Crimson defenders to set up John Knowles for the second period goals. Harvard averted any more trouble by scoring two second-period goals. DeMichele scored the first on a scramble in the crease, and Otness added the other on a tip-in.

Owen's breakaway goal was the only score in the last period as Harvard played much of the period with a man disadvantage.