Senate Demands Student Records

SUBPOENAS DEAN ELDER

By David N. Hollander and Michael B. Wallace

J. Petersen Elder, dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, has been subpoenaed to appear before a Senate subcommittee and present the records of 21 graduate students active in SDS or arrested in the University Hall sit-in.

The Senate Subcommittee on Investigations of the Committee on Government Operations, chaired by Sea. John L. McClellen (D-Ark.), also served a subpoena yesterday to the Stanford Dean of Students. The subcommittee requested the records of 90 individuals and 12 national campus organizations at Stanford.

There was no information last night on whether Dean Glimp has been asked to furnish information on Harvard undergraduates or campus organizations.

Elder declined to comment last night on the specifics of the subpoena. The Stanford subpoena, however, requested information on any Federal aid being received by the students listed and the names of the officers of the campus chapters of those organizations.

Stanford Provost Richard W. Lyman said in a statement yesterday afternoon, "It is important that we avoid precipitous reaction and make every effort to curb the rumors which are bound to occur. Apparently, none of the individuals have been subpoenaed, and so far as we can tell, the information requested is of a limited nature."

A Harvard graduate student said last night the student whose records Elder was asked to produce are the following: Diane C. Abramson, John C. Berg, Norman Daniels, Frank Domurad, Paul r. Gomberg, Alan Gilnert, Mark S. Gould, Alan Jehlen, Susan B. Jhirad, Temma E. Kaplan, Elizabeth Katz, Joel A. Klein, Peter H. Knapp, Stephen J. Likosky, Carl D. Offiner, Alan R. Richards, Howard L. Rolston, Michael H. Schwartz, Pamela A. Smith, Thomas E. Staley, and one unidentified student.

There was no official confirmation of the list from Elder or any other administrators last night.