Crimson Booters Win 3-0; Thomas, Bogovich Score

By Martin R. Garay

Playing improved soccer for the first two periods, the varsity soccer team defeated Williams, 3-0, at Cumnock Field Saturday afternoon.

Charlie Thomas and Pete Bogovich provided the necessary scoring punch, knocking in three goals within a period of twelve minutes.

Coach Bruce Munro was encouraged by some signs of improvement in the game. "The defense covered much better-they were much more comfortable. The halfbacks plugged the gaps very well but the offense lacked cohesion, although it improved somewhat over Thursday's game against Tufts." he said.

The First Half

These improvements were especially notiecable during the first half, when the Crimson scored its three goals. Charlie Thomas knocked in the first of his two goals late in the first period. Taking a pass in front of the net from sophomore classmmate Phil Kydes. Thomas drilled ? shot underneath the goalie for his third tally of the season.

Thomas assisted Pete Bogovich early in the next period for the Crimson's second goal. Displaying excellent foot control, Thomas was able to keep the ball until Bogavich freed himself of his defender and stood alone in front of the net. Thomas fed the ball to Bogovich, and Pete made it 2-0.

The third goal came four and a half minutes later when Thomas took a pass from Kydes and put the ball in.

25 Shots at Goal

Throughout the game, the Crimson line kept the pressure on the Williams goalie, shooting 25 times in his direction. The halfbacks gave the offensive line the needed support that was missing during the Tufts outing. "In this game we had three halfbacks doing the work of three, unlike the Tufts game when two were carrying the whole load," Munro said.

John Gordon, Bob Gray, and Chris Ferner were the starting halfbacks, but Norie Harrower and Bezo Cutler also saw action.

During the second half, the Crimson reverted to its Tufts-style soccer. lacking coordination and cohesion. Communications on the field were poor and frequently the forward line could have avoided a tackle if the backfield had told them that Ephmen were in the vieinity.

Meyers' Injured Knee

Bill Meyers guarded the net for the Crimson, but he was stiff after reinjuring a knee in the Tufts game. Captain Rich Locksley, the other Harvard goalie, did not see any action against Williams and will miss the game against Connecticut Wednesday.