Faculty Votes Not to Give Offner M. A.

By Michael E. Kinsley

Carl D. Offner '64, the graduate student dismissed last June for his participation in the events in University Hall, was singled out of a list of degree candidates in a closed Faculty meeting Tuesday and refused a master's degree.

The Mathematics Department had voted unanimously to nominate Officer for a master's degree. The GSAS Administrative Board had concurred, 7-3. Offner had completed his Ph. D. course requirements before he was dismissed, but had not finished his thesis.

When Offner's name was included in a list of degree candidates proposed by J. Peterson Elder, dean of the GSAS, Dean May is reported to have objected on the grounds that undergraduates under disciplinary sanctions who had completed their A. B. degree requirements have not been allowed to graduate.

The Faculty voted-on Dean May's motion-to turn the issue over to the Faculty Council. The Council will decide what to do about Offner specifically. and formulate general procedures for deciding when, if ever, persons under disciplinary sanction may be awarded degrees.

James Q. Wilson, professor of Government and a member of the Faculty Council, said last night that the Faculty Council considered the general policy issue yesterday, but he refused to comment on whether or not Offner's case was specifically considered.

People

John T. Tate, chairman of the Mathematics Department, said last night he was surprised by the Faculty's action. "I was aware from conversations with various people that some people didn't want Offner to get his degree, and I wouldn't pretend to understand how people decided how to vote. But according to the rules, Offner had earned his degree, and I certainly hoped that Dean May's motion would be defeated," Tate said.

Several Faculty members are reported to feel that Offner should be awarded his degree even if the Faculty later decides to clarify the rules-to prevent similar action in the future.

Offner said last night, "It just goes to show that in our fight for the working people, the Corporation isn't going to grant any small favors."