Alumni Respond to Harvard Club's Poll: Despite Trouble, 'Harvard is Still Best'

By Michael E. Kinsley

Harvard's most influential outside pressure group-the alumni-have spoken on the events of the past year in a poll of its members by the Harvard Club of New York City. The results were rarely surprising. For most of these alumni, only the actions of students disturb their relative contentment with the status-quo.

Twenty-five per cent of the club's almost 7000 members answered the questionnaire. The results of each question were separated by decade of graduation; the answers got progressively more conservative with age.

Fifty-one per cent reported they were dissatisfied with the University's handling of the occupation of University Hall last April. Only one-eighth of these said the University had overreacted.

"Vacillation and weak knees never climbed any mountains." said one alumnus enigmatically. Another commented, "Cracking heads is as bad for education as invading University offices."

Less than 35 per cent thought that discipline of the demonstrators was too lenient. One skeptic commented, "What was the discipline? Three nights without television."

A question on the accessibility of Faculty members, however, evoked a surprisingly discontented response. Perhaps remembering their own undergraduate days, over two-thirds of those who had an opinion felt Faculty members are too remote. Over three-quarters said there is an overemphasis on publishing in the advancement of faculty members. Over 80 per cent, though, thought students should not have a formal role in selection promotion, and tenure decisions. Seventy-two per cent said they had confidence in the present system of Faculty selection.

Fifty-five per cent said they thought student complaints that there are no well-established ways to express dissatisfaction are at least partially justified. Seventy-five per cent thought student advice might be valuable in curriculum development.

A majority said they favored the present structure of the University, the self-perpetuating power of the Corporation, and especially alumni election of Overseers; but most thought the bodies should have younger members. One unusual negative comment on the election of Overseers:

"You have to be kidding. The folder tells us majestically that Chauncey Winston Minot VII was director of this, president of that...etc...etc., but not where they stand on anything. The alumni think they're reading somebody's resume, mark their X's...and lo and behold...two-thirds of Harvard's ruling body has sideburns down to their knees."

A majority said that they would still want their sons and daughters to attend Harvard and Radcliffe, and that their generosity in contributing money has not been affected by recent events. (The club commented somewhat sourlythat many never gave anything anyhow.)

But one discontented alumnus said, "I don't want my children polluted. I can't quite believe you don't know why (with hippies on your labor force) but narcotics, sex and anarchy tend to distract from study."

On merger with Radcliffe, 45 per cent said "yes," 35 per cent "no." Most yes comments pointed out that the schools are practically merged anyway. "Why not make an honest woman of Radcliffe," one said. Some scattered negative comments:

"Harvard is best kept as a college for men only."

"It is like asking the camel into the tent. Look at the Harvard Club-full of babble and chatter. Women are quite different from men in my experience." The Harvard Club of New York now allows women within its doors.

"Neither would benefit-Radcliffe last of all. Wellesley girls are all-girls, not would-be matriarchs and second-rate competitors in the acquisition of knowledge."

Other scattered comments:

On the dropping of ROTC for-28 per cent: against-66 per cents: "I'd much rather have the average Harvard man as my superior officer than someone from the trade schools."

On Harvard's admissions policy:

"The dissenter of today will be the innovative financier of tomorrow."

"I only wish they could come up with a passer for the football team."

"I object to lowered standards to allow entrance to near moron colored [sic]."

On letting students run their own living arrangements: "Even the best of puppies needs to be housebroken." And "It's like letting the insane run-the asylum."

On letting the Faculty (as opposed to the administration or the police) handle discipline: "The Faculty is too washy washy."

The results of the poll are. of course. subject to a variety of interpretations. Here is the one the Harvard Club of New York City chose:

"To sum up. Harvard has serious problems that will demand many energies to solve-but it is still the best."