Class of '74 Rejects CRR Participation

By Mark C. Frazier

Hanvard freshmen yesterday voted 307 to 150 against sending representatives to the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities (ORR).

The vote came in a non-binding referendum designed to give the Freshman Council an idea of student support for the CRR. Following the tabulation of yesterday's poll-which covered over 45 per cent of the 1200 students in the Class of '74-the Council decided to uphold the results by a vote of 18 to 5.

Both Eliot and Leverett Houses held similar referenda on CRR representation yesterday. Eliot rejected a proposal to "support and participate in the procedures of the CRR as it is presently set up," 102 to 62, with 14 abstaining. Leverett voted against sending representatives, 140 to 102, in a surveyoriginated by Leverett's "Committee of 11" -a group of students chosen at random as a pool of candidates for CRR representation.

Quincy House also voted down the CRR last night, reversing a referendum taken earlier this year. Quincy students voted down a proposal to select a group of 11 by a margin of 151 to 45, and the House Committee last night voted to abide by the referendum.

"I'm going to inform Dean May that we're not going to draw up a list of 15 candidates for CRR representation," said David Samuels '74, president of the Freshman Council. Four of the 15 candidates would have been chosen randomly to represent the class if the Council had voted to override the referendum.

Samuels said that recommendations for changes in the CRR would be drawn up by a Freshman Council committee, and submitted to Dean May at a later date.

In the same poll, the freshman class elected representatives to other University committees. Kevin O'Prien and Mare Pembroke were chosen to serve on the Committee on Students and Community Relations, and Merrick Garland will serve on the Committee on Housing and Undergraduate Life.