Schools Return to Normal After Teachers End Walkout

By Robin Freedberg

Burlington school teacher resumed work yesterday following their acceptance Tuesday of a two-year compromise contract drawn up by Archibald Cox '34, Williston Professor of Law.

The vote on the contract that ended a two-week teachers strike came after the release of four strike leaders who were jailed last week for contempt of court. Under the terms of the new contract the base salary will increase from $7550 to $7900 as of January 1, and will rise to $8150 next September 1.

The contract also provides for changes in class size and teachers work loads.

Cox's proposal included a stipulation that there be no reprisals against the striking teachers or their leaders.

The 470 member Burlington Educators Association had postponed its vote on the proposal made Sunday by Cox until its leaders were released from the Billetica House of Correction.

The school department yesterday that classes for the 7000 pupils affected by the strike had returned to normal and that there was no excessive absenteeism.

By the time the Tuesday vote was slated to begin. Judge Joseph S. Mitchell of the Middlesex Probate Court had rescinded the temporary injunction he issued last Friday that ordered the closing of all Burlington schools.

Parents had complained that the volunteer teachers manning the elementary schools were failing to provide "a meaningful education."

The question of whether the classes conducted by the volunteer substitute teachers and parents will be considered legal school days remains unresolved.

The state appointed Cox to mediate the contract dispute on September 26.