Approval of SDS Convention Here Is Still Delayed

By Peter Shapiro

An Administration decision on granting permission to H.R Students for a Democratic Society to hold a National Convention on Racism here March 30 through April 2 is still delayed.

As of last night SDS had not yet replied to a letter from Dean Epps on January 28 enumerating the unsettled issues which he says must be resolved before a permit can be granted.

Epps said Tuesday that he is waiting for SDS's reply to his letter before considering their request.

Katherine J. Moos '75, vice president of SDS, said last night that the principal cause of the delay in responding to Epps's letter was the absence of most of SDS's members during intersession. "Dean Epps raised some points which we would like to discuss in a full meeting," she said.

Legitimacy

Moos said that SDS is also investigating the legitimacy of the debts that Epps says they owe the University. Epps said last week that these debts amount to "approximately $1000." These debts must be paid off before a permit will be granted, he added.

Aside from the debts, Epps said in his that SDS must clarify "precisely sponsoring the convention." Two ago SDS told Epps that they would "full responsibility" for the .

Epps maintains that because the publicity for the convention only National SDS--and not Harvard-Radcliffe chapter--the issue sponsorship is not clear.

"It now appears that outside groups with no connection with the University are arranging the Convention and the program of events," he said. "Under such circumstances we would not grant permission for the Convention."

If the convention is sponsored by National SDS, permission for it must come from the Corporation and not from his office, Epps said