The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Trying to Avoid 1969 Woes

Conferences:

By Douglas E. Schoen

The Administration doesn't want it to happen again.

At least that's the impression given by Charles U. Daly, vice president for Government and Community Affairs, and Daniel Steiner '54, general counsel to the University, at a Harvard-sponsored conference on Chicano and Boricua (Puerto Rican) studies last weekend.

The "it" is the 1969 controversy over the establishment of an Afro-American Studies program which led in part to the takeover of University Hall. And while they were open to discussion of increasing Chicano-Boricua studies at Harvard, both Daly, in his welcoming address to the conference, and Dean Dunlop carefully avoided any commitment to Chicano-Boricua students on the implementation of a program here.

The potential volatility of the issue was demonstrated last week, however, when Chicano students opposed what they thought was the appointment of an assistant professor in Anthropology for Latin American and Chicano studies. They contended the appointment was an attempt at cooptation.

That problem was somewhat alleviated when Evon Z. Vogt, the chairman of the Anthropology Department, announced that the appointment of Phyllis Kazen was solely as an assistant professor in Social Anthropology.